Monday, February 06, 2006

More About Me

I met E about two and a half years ago. I was the first of any of my friends to get married. Then if that wasn't bad enough, I also jumped on an airplane soon after and moved all the way across the ocean with my new, much older, foreign husband. Granted, he is Jewish and loves me very much and theoretically that's all my parents ever wanted for me, but apparently they also wanted me to live next door to them. I was always the good daughter, and my parents are very protective, so I think I traumatized them pretty badly. They're only starting to recover a bit now, a year and a half later.

So, here I am in the land of Milk and Honey. Our first year here we lived in downtown Jerusalem, which was great. Lots of restaurants, shopping, walking distance to everything, what's there not to like? Oh right. The crazy Israelis (yes, I know this is a generalization, I am married to a nice not so crazy one, but this is my blog so I can vent about what I want). Getting yelled at constantly by complete strangers is not my idea of a good time. There is no sense of privacy here which can be great; it creates a real sense of unity, like we're all in this together, but in the US I had a bubble. I liked my bubble. Living in a busy city full of stressed out, impatient Israelis is not conducive to having a bubble. I think my bubble was about the size of a pea. Plus, having a loud, kind of scary dog that drew lots of attention, reduced my bubble to a piece of couscous.

Now E, the doggy, and I have moved to a Moshav (you're going to have to Google that if you don't know what it means, it's effectively a rural type suburb) outside of the city. I was a little skeptical moving away from the convenience of the city, but I luuuuuuuve it! Our Moshav is nestled in a valley in the mountains outside of Jerusalem. All we see is mountains out of our windows, and we can still get pizza delivery! The wonders of this country. My bubble is now the size of the half dunam of land that our house sits on and I'm happy. Now our dog can run around our yard and people now say "oh, your dog is really doing her job" when she barks her head off, and not "is she going to eat me and my children?"

Now for your viewing pleasure, the doggy enjoying the sunset in her new home:


4 Comments:

At 4:48 AM, Blogger Ayelet said...

reduced my bubble to a piece of couscous.

That line made me laugh out loud! You commented the other day on my blog and I responded. I'm still wondering if I came out a bit too strong. Did you get a chance to check back?

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Ayelet said...

Omigosh! I just checked myself and realized I never did post my whole response because I was afraid I was being offensive and wanted to show it to someone fo their opinion! Ah, to hell with it. I'll go dig it up and post it and, well, I hope you still think I'm an okay person :).

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Ayelet said...

Aaaah! I can't find it yet. I'm still gonna keep digging but right now I need to go to sleep. I hear my brain starting to sputter and I'm afraid it will completely stall and then...well, you know how hard it is to get it started back up again after that.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Ayelet said...

There it is. I posted it. Read at your own risk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home