Shinayim, Einayim, Oznayim
I'm really happy that I went.
The mikvah visit was much better than I could have expected. I was so worried that the Mikvah lady was going to grill me about how I practice taharat mishpacha and then not let me use the mikvah once she found out that I practice differently than Orthodox Jews (I wouldn't have been able to lie about it).
She was perfect, so sweet, and made it such a good experience.
The Mikvah itself was much nicer than I expected. I stare at it everyday from my house, and from that viewpoint it really looks like a shack. Inside there are actually two preparation rooms (I was sure there was only going to be one) that had been recently redone. It wasn't a spa but it was a far cry from what I'm sure it looked like when it was built in 1948. The Mikvah itself was teeny tiny, the bare minimum, but as a result the water was so nice and toasty.
After I showered quickly one last time in the prep room. I walked into the Mikvah room where she was waiting for me she very gently checked my hands, feet, and back, and then in a gentle singsong voice asked shinayim, einayim, oznayim (teeth, eyes, ears) to help me remember if I had brushed and flossed my teeth, took out my contact, and cleaned my ears. Never accusatory, just a reminder, she was helping me and a part of the whole thing.
I then walked down the steps into the water while she held my towel on the side. Once I was in the water she asked me what my practice for saying the blessing was (sephardim and ashkenasim have different traditions). I told her, then pushed off of the wall, let go and went under the water.
As I came up, I heard a very clear, sweet, "Ka-sher". It makes me smile now just thinking about it. She just sounded like she so enjoyed helping all of us perform this mitzvah.
Blessing, two more dips, and I was done.
I came out, she shook my hand and wished me a happy new year. She was so cute.
The dipping itself didn't have a miraculous spiritual effect on me. I didn't expect it too, that's not how I do mitzvahs. This is just another very important mitzvah that I feel I should be performing, and the fact that I'm now doing it after it being off-limits for the first two years of my marriage (there are a lot of reasons for that, just know that it's not a common thing for non-Orthodox Jews to do but at the same time it's as important as keeping kosher which is a common thing, a subject for another post).
A new mitzvah, a new year, indeed.

2 Comments:
I remember the first time I went to the mikvah - probably one of my most profound spiritual moments. I'm glad your visit was a positive experience as well!
Ari (Baking and Books)
Ari,
do you still go to the Mikvah? I'd love to hear about how you do the whole t"h thing. Email me privately if you want.
Timi
Post a Comment
<< Home