Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I Actually Have Work to Do

So, this will be quick and kind of listy.

First of all, Thanksgiving was awesome. It was so much fun cooking stuff that I don't normally do. E, the vegetarian (though less so now than a couple of months ago), was extremely supportive of my turkey endevors. He ordered the turkey for me and then did all of the subsequent heavy lifting involved when dealing with a turkey.

He even went in to pick up the turkey from the butcher while I sat in the car because I thought they were going to make fun of me for buying a 7 kilo piece of meat. Some days I just have really low tolerance for the lack of boundaries that people have here. If I want to do something stupid, let me do it in peace. Anyway.

It turns out that I wasn't the only wierd American buying a whole turkey. The butcher said that they had sold 7 tons of turkey for that Thursday! That is a lot of turkey for a city that does not celebrate Thanksgiving. All of the workers there were really excited that a hebrew speaker was finally picking up one of the turkeys so they could ask him what the deal was with this holiday. They had no idea what the holiday was about, but you could tell there was a festive atmosphere there all the same.

The Turkey turned out awesome. The leftovers were plenty. And now I have turkey soup as well. Good stuff. I also made stuffing, squash muffins (which are awesome, kind of pudding like, I have to share the recipe here later), salad with pomegranate and pears, and pomegranate cupcakes for dessert.

I was all ready to take pictures of everything as evidence of my accomplishments when our camera died. So, no pictures until my parents come to visit in December. But just know it was all pretty.

On a different topic, E and I are going to Paris next week. We are going in conjunction with a conference for E (so we only pay for one plane ticket) to see some friends there and to finally have a vacation together that does not involve my parents. I need suggestions of places to go. I've been there before so now I want to do stuff I didn't get a chance to do last time. Lately I've been thinking about all of the sweet stuff (literally) that I can buy in Paris, chocolate, baked goods, etc. so this has become the unofficial focus of this trip (well, at least for me, I don't even think I've mentioned this to E). I've already been to Angelina's for their hot chocolate, but anything along those lines would be awesome. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1 Comments:

At 3:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pomegranate cupcakes sound divine, any chance of your sharing the recipe with us?

On the Paris front, alas, I have never been there so I can't suggest anyplace to go. But hav a fabulous time! It's one of the places I dream of visiting!

Ari (Baking and Books)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home