I really don't know where to start now, so much has gone down over the past couple of days with my treatment and I just didn't have any energy to update here. I guess I'll start from the most recent and move backwards a bit.
I just came home from my retrieval. I have been dreading this ever since I saw my husband's crappy SA way back when, knowing we would probably end up with IVF. It went much more smoothly than I expected. I went in to the hospital at about 7am, they got me dressed and ready, said hi to my doctor and then walked into the OR. I laid down on the table, the anesthesiologist got the IV in in one easy shot and then I was out. Next thing I know I'm waking up in recovery and my doctor is talking to me. They got 25 eggs! Yay! Since then I've felt really fine. No nausea, just a little cramping which has gradually lessened and lessened. I haven't even taken anything for it. It was a good experience.
Now, a little background on what went down leading up to today. I went in for monitoring on Tuesday, had lots of good follicles the largest being around 20mm but my E2 had tripled since two days before from 3000 to 8400 (pmol/l, not the units they use in America, my E2 maximum was closer to 2500 in American units, just for reference). So, while the E2 value itself didn't raise eyebrows, the rate at which I had been responding did. So, the decision was made, by us and my RE, to eliminate the risk of OHSS and take a Lupron trigger instead of Ovitrelle. He just had a feeling the Ovitrelle would send my hormones over the edge. The only drawback to this method is that with a Lupron trigger the chances of getting pregnant from a fresh transfer are much lower unless you take a bunch of Luteal phase support. So, we decided to either freeze everything or see how I was doing after ER and make a decision from there. As of now, it looks like I'm going to take a small dosage of HCG, and take estrogen and PIO for the rest of the luteal phase and try to transfer something fresh. The PIO came as a bit of an unpleasant shock, not only is it not covered by insurance and they have to special order it, but I was really looking forward to a break from the needles, let alone IM shots that I have no idea how to do. But it looks like that's where we're headed. I'm going to discuss the details of the protocol with my RE later today.
But the good news is ER is over, and I have lots of eggs. Let's see what fertilizes from that. They are going to do half regular fertilization and half ICSI. Wish us luck.